Monday, September 15, 2008

Indignantly Unfree

Lately I have been hanging out on Vox Day's blog. (voxdaydotblogspotdotcom)
Some very interesting discussions have taken place there, I don't agree with Vox on everything but he can normally back up his opinions with hard reasoning, and being a Libertarian his issues with our current government and cultural situation are ones that I tend to have as well.

I want to share part of a comment I read there. It is one often heard, in various forms, and uttered by well-meaning people. It is also extremely dangerous, having the appearance of compassion but being in reality one of the quicker routes to tyranny that we are currently hurtling down.

"As I said, this depends on how you define liberty... ...Does it mean having no accountability? No obligation to anyone? Does freedom mean being able to conduct free enterprise without regard for how it impacts the world and other people. Does it mean being free to step over other people dying in the gutter?"

I picked this one statement because it encapsulates the entire argument.

The answer to this question is a resounding YES.
In fact, it is imperative that the answer is yes. The fact that it is asked indignantly, as if it is a rhetorical question that could have but one answer, shows that the asker does not understand the concept of freedom.

Please consider:
Without the freedom to step over the dying man in the gutter, aiding the dying man in the gutter has no moral value. If you did not do it as a free, personal decision, you did it under compulsion. In so far as I am not free to refuse an action, that action ceases to be a morally commendable one when I do it.

Freedom gives us the ability to make moral choices. Morality can only exist in proportion to freedom. If I have infinite choice, I can be (potentially) infinitely good. If I have zero choice, I am neither good, nor bad, I merely follow directives.

This is how animals live. Apparently many people are more comfortable with the idea of us living a harmonious life in the zoo, with the government as our kind caretaker, always ensuring we play well with others, have enough food, and live happy lives.

Well forgive me, but I could never stomach the Soma.

-()4|<

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to agree once again. I would say that does define freedom in its entire meaning.